Tomorrow keeps getting further and further away:

Well, folks, it's that time again. The time of hopes and dreams and goals. The time to turn over a new leaf.

We are rapidly approaching "New Years Resolution" time.

Oh, goody. Not that I think resolutions are bad or anything, don't get me wrong. It just seems that people seem to be stuck in this though process where you can only make resolutions in January, you can only start something at the beginning of the week, month, day, etc... "I'll do it tomorrow" is a phrase we hear (and say) far too often. Why wait to make a change? Do January and Mondays (and tomorrow, for that matter) have some sort of magical you-can-do-it power? I think not. So, I'm making November Resolutions.

My first goal? Drop 20 pounds in 2 months. Can it be done? Why yes, yes it can. It hit me last night as I was trying to fall asleep that I will be a hire-able EMT as of January 10th. I want to be in the best possible physical condition I can be in when I go on interviews. I know they ("they" being the private ambulance companies) aren't looking for little, teensy, "fairy" people, but they also want someone who can handle, say, maneuvering a stretcher with a 180 pound person on it down several flights of stairs.

My second goal? Stay on top of my school work. I know deep, deep down, that if I spent a mere hour a day doing homework, I'd be much better off than where I'm at now. So, I'd like to start spending an hour a day, not including class time, studying or doing homework for one of my classes.

So, today marks Day One. I'm lucky that my every-other-weekend job affords me the luxury of getting some homework and studying done. So, while Alice reads, I'll read, too. I'll read my EME book and my chem lab manual. After I get off of work, I'm going home to change and then I'm headed to the gym. I have a relatively sizable goal for myself today: burn 600 calories in cardio, then do some upper body strength training. I figure I can do the cardio in about 45 minutes and the strength training in around 30. One thing I have to give Kyle, my former trainer, is that he taught me how to maximize my workout time (Thanks, Kyle!). I can get an entire full body strength training workout done in less than 45 minutes. I like the way I feel after a good workout, too. Strong, healthy, vibrant, accomplished.

What does the Bible say about this? you may ask. 1 Corinthians 6:19-20 says

"Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body."
I'm sure you've heard that your body is God's temple. And I'm sure you've scoffed at the thought, too. I have! This doesn't mean worship your body. It means take care of yourself! And taking care of yourself doesn't mean you need to be able to run a 6 minute mile and that you never eat bread. Taking care of yourself means eating right, exercising, praying, laughing, sleeping, loving, living. And don't forget to find joy in life! Even in the worst of times, there is joy.


Enough talking! Time for me to get out there and do it!


To do list:
  • Chemistry - If I don't do it today, it probably won't get done. On the agenda: post lab, pre lab and write-up
  • EME - It won't kill me to not read the chapters, but it's a good idea, especially if I'm doing a round in the ER on Thursday
  • Gym - I always feel so strong, powerful and even beautiful (yes, even when I'm drenched in sweat, wearing no makeup, a t-shirt and sweats). 45 minutes of cardio or 600 calories, whatever comes first.
  • Grocery store - I'm setting myself up to fail if I don't have the proper tools and the right food is one of those tools.
On a side note, I'm wondering how coherent and fluid my blogs are. Do they jump from topic to topic or flow smoothly? Oh well, no time to wonder about that. Time for homework!!!

0 comments: