The Final Straw:

I find myself becoming frustrated with my progress (or lack thereof) fitness wise. It really bums me out that in the last 2 months, I've only lost 5 pounds. Luckily, I'm dropping inches and body fat and my strength and endurance have increased dramatically. If it weren't for those results, I would be very, very disappointed. Probably disappointed enough to *gulp* give up.

I mentioned my "concerns" to the GM of my gym and he basically flat out told me that even though my act is together as far as working out goes, I need to be doing better as far as what I'm eating. Then, my trainer (who now has a new job and is no longer my trainer) said the same thing after he measured me this last week and not much had changed, despite me working my butt off.

So this is the final straw. I need to revamp my diet. Make better decisions, eat better foods. I'm wasting my time at the gym if I don't take control of my diet.

I feel like things are finally falling into place. I have taken control of my finances (amazingly freeing feeling, by the way), I am making progress in getting a job as an EMT (got my county card Thursday, I go next week for my ambulance drivers license and then I can apply my heart out), I am enjoying the working out and going to the gym and the interactions that have been going on (so, so amusing), school is going well, work is work. Why not take responsibility and regain control of my diet?

I was reading a magazine earlier today that was saying that a Mediterranean diet is one of the healthiest, most filling diets out there. My goal this weekend is to put together some Mediterranean inspired meals and snacks. Perhaps Sunday I can hit the grocery store and get all the ingredients I need, then maybe cook some food for the week.

*Side note: Erik Hassle's album "Hassle" is fantastic. This dude is from Sweden, we share the same birthday (Woo!) and, so far, his album is practically flawless. "Don't Bring Flowers After I'm Dead" and "Hurtful" have been playing on repeat all day. :-)

Ok, back to the matter at hand. Mediterranean foods. The staples of the Mediterranean diet include fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains, nuts and seeds, legumes, seafood, yogurt, olive oil, and small amounts of wine. Totally doable and totally delicious!

Looks like I have myself a new project for this evening! I should probably study up for the ambu test and the tests I'll have to take when I apply at different ambu companies.

I'll leave you with the lyrics for "Bump in the Road" by none other than Erik Hassle:

"We all must go through it sometime
You're not the first, you know
You stick your head in the sunshine
Don't expect the worst, though

If a bird can sing with a broken wing
You'll learn to bend when the wind blows
The leaves may fall, but the trees stay tall
This is a bump in the road
Don't give up, you will make it
Don't give up, you will make it

We all must go through it sometime,
You're not the first, you know
Love got more hooks than a fish line
Believe it hurts, ooowhh

If a bird can sing with a broken wing
You'll learn to bend when the wind blows
The leaves may fall, but the trees stay tall
Find More lyrics at www.sweetslyrics.com
This is a bump in the road
Don't give up, you will make it
Don't give up, you will make it

(Out of the dark
Into the light
Over the edge
On with your life)

We all must go through it sometime
You're not the first, you know
You stick your head in the sunshine
Don't expect the worst, oowhh

If a bird can sing with a broken wing
You'll learn to bend when the wind blows
The leaves may fall, but the trees stay tall
This is a bump in the road
Don't give up, you will make it
Don't give up, you will make it"

0 comments: