Character

Verbal vomit in 3...2...1... Let the wandering thoughts begin!

So I'm talking to one of my best friends, whom I have known for 20+ years (good Lord...) and we're answering that age old question: how's it going? I tell her how it's going and she says "I'm sure that's a tough place to be, but you're gonna grow from it." I responded with "Dude, I can't take anymore personal growth. I'm like, Dear God, please, no more character building experiences."

That got me to thinking about character...

char·ac·ter [kar-ik-ter]
noun
1. the aggregate of features and traits that form the individual nature of some person or thing.
2. one such feature or trait; characteristic.
3. moral or ethical quality: a man of fine, honorable character.
4. qualities of honesty, courage, or the like; integrity: It takes character to face up to a bully.
5. reputation: a stain on one's character.

Helen Keller said "Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved."
 
Lawrence G. Lovasik said "Strength of character means the ability to overcome resentment against others, to hide hurt feelings, and to forgive quickly." 

All that being said, or read, rather, is there such a thing as too much character building? I mean, let's say someone has a really rough life. Just blow after blow after blow. They're kicked when they're down and when they get up the rug just gets pulled out from under them... But they keep a good attitude, stay positive, keep working hard. They have "character" up the wazoo. When is enough enough? 

I suppose life really is just a series of ups and downs. Sometimes there are far more downs. And I suppose that since beauty is in the eye of the beholder (I wonder how many more cliches I can fit into this post...), perhaps ups and downs are different for each individual person. 
 
Suddenly it all becomes clear to me

I was reminded of a conversation I had had with my mom earlier in the week. I was commenting on how people say "I don't have money for [ _____ ]" or "Man, I am broke" and in my mind, broke means, well, broke. No money. Nadda. Zip. Nil. Not "my bank account dipped below $2k, man I'm broke." 
 
My mom pointed out that people have different definitions for things. Broke to me means something completely different to a lot of my friends and family.

Along that same train of thought, a trial for someone else might be easy for me, and vice versa. 

I think this is why sometimes I lack sympathy when listening to others talk about their troubles. If it isn't something that was/is difficult for me, it's tough for me to not think "Suck it up, you pansy" or "life isn't fair, I suggest you stop whining about it." 

Buuuuut this is something I'm working on. 
 
YAY for personal growth! WOO character building! (said no one ever...)

0 comments: