Summer:

I love summer. I do. I love it. The pool, the beach, vacations, the heat, tan skin, having to constantly have clean shaven legs. :)

Today I am going to my aunts pool with my brother and friend. I suspect that it's going to be great. When we all get along, we have good times.

But nothing will beat summers spent at my grandparents house in Claremont, CA.

They had this crazy big pool shaped like a weird ant. The head was the shallow end, a circle with a 12 foot diameter and a depth of around two and a half feet. We used to walk with our hands, pulling our bodies through the water like we were water snakes. In the middle was a huge, odd shaped circle that gradually went from four deep to around 7 feet deep. It was in the deeper part of this section that the slide ejected you. I'm not sure when the water houses in the slide stopped working, but we didn't mind. We improvised and tied the hose at the top. There was this patch of flowers behind the stepping stones by the pool and when you chewed on the stems of the flowers, they emitted a slightly sweet but mostly sour tasting liquid. We could swim and chew on those for hours upon hours. The deep end always scared me. It was around nine feet deep and at the bottom was this drain thing. When we played mermaids (which we played a lot), that was where Ursula lived. The memories I have of this pool are things I will never lose. Sounds and smells that I associate with those memories easily take me back to a time where it didn't matter how much you weighed, if you had acne or if your bathing suit was bought at a thrift store.

I'd give up a lot to have summers like that now. I know it's not possible to have 3 solid months of that, so I'm going to attempt to recreate that feeling for one day.

Sorry for my poor drawing, but I knew that my words just wouldn't do it.

0 comments: