Stormy Weather:

First off, He is risen!! Happy Easter, everyone!!

Last night I had a series of weird dreams. And I mean WEIRD. The one common element among these dreams was that there was a huge storm rolling in and I was constantly searching for shelter. Imagine standing on a dock and looking out over the ocean and seeing this roaring wall of rain coming at you. Wind, rain, fog. The storm hits and you're surrounded in darkness. You can't see, breathe or move. It's paralyzing.


In the last dream (or what I think was the last dream), I finally found a place to take cover. It was a strangers apartment in a ghetto area of what was supposed to be Vista. It reeked of wet dogs and dirty dishes. Two heavy-set women sitting on a dirty, sunken couch. My friend and I ran in and I locked the door behind me. "Smart girl," said the older of the two women. It was at this point that I woke up.

Now, I dream a lot. I don't usually remember my dreams, I just wake up with the knowledge that I had a dream. So when I woke up, I was like, What does it mean to dream about storms?!

According to Dream Moods Dictionary:

"Storm

To see a storm in your dream, signifies some overwhelming struggle, shock, loss or catastrophe in your waking life. The storm also represents unexpressed fears or emotions, such as anger, rage, turmoil, etc. On a more positive note, the storm symbolizes your rising spirituality. It may signal rapid changes ahead for you.

To dream that you take cover in a storm, foretells that whatever disturbance or problems is occurring in your life will quickly blow over. Consider also the phrase "weather the storm", which refers to your ability and strength to withstand whatever comes. "

The Curious Dreamer says:

Storm
  • Challenges, rough times, or turbulence in life or in relationships
  • Rage, anger, frustration, or other upset feelings
So, it seems the general idea is pretty much an angry one involving the facing of challenges.

Has anyone ever heard the concept that fear is the basis of anger? Let's think about it. What was the last thing you were angry about? For me, it was driving home from work yesterday. People were tailgating me, driving too slow, merging into lanes that weren't open, etc. And that made me mad! But my anger stemmed from the fear that someone (including myself) would get hurt. Another example. I get mad at my dog when he wakes me up all throughout the night. My anger is coming from the fear of a) not being able to figure out what's wrong and b) not getting enough sleep which causes me to worry about what will happen the following day.

If a storm in a dream symbolizes rage, anger, turmoil, then it must symbolize extreme and unfathomable fear. The question now becomes, what am I afraid of? This question can be answered with a loooong list of possibilities.

Today, I challenge you to make a list of things that make you mad. Big, small, silly, legitimate. After you've made your list (I bet my list will be loooooong), try to find the root fear.

Here are a few examples from my own list:

1) I'm mad about money ---> I'm afraid I won't have enough to pay my bills.
2) I'm mad that I don't have more free time ---> I'm afraid I won't be able to get my errands done and that I won't be able to enjoy my life fully.
3) I'm mad I have to wait to find out if I was accepted into paramedic school ---> I'm afraid I didn't get in. If I don't get in, I don't know what the next step is.

There are other things on my list, but it get's pretty personal and specific. Just the act of making the list, however, helps me to see what fears are rational, meaning my anger is not just me wasting energy. What it all comes down to is this: We are all very blessed and we are much more capable than we think we are when it comes to facing difficult times and situations. If we connect the anger with the fear and acknowledge the fear, our lives become much less stormy! Fingers crossed I have better dreams tonight.

Have a blessed Easter!

0 comments: