Let's Digress:

Alright, so you know how you're listening to a song you really like and you're focusing on the words and a line just hits you? Like, it runs up to you and just punches you in the face?? Well, I've had a couple of those moments recently and it got me to thinking (which we all know is a dangerous thing...) and I wanted to share a few lines.

First up, the song "Love, love, love" by Of Monsters and Men.

The lines:

 And these fingertips
Will never run through your skin
Those bright blue eyes
Can only meet mine across the room
Filled with people that are less important than you

'Cause you love, love, love
When you know I can't love
You love, love, love
When you know I can't love
You love, love, love
When you know I can't love you

So I think it's best
We both forget
Before we dwell on it
Before I say anything else and before you read further, please go listen to this song if you haven't yet. It's so beautifully written and performed. The entire album is amazing. Moving on... I'm sure you're all getting sick of hearing about my break-up thoughts and processing, but guess what? I don't care. :-) Here come more of them. I don't know, something about this song really hit me. It almost brings about a sense of grieving, but at the same time, it's not a depressing or sad song. I've been thinking about my former boyfriend a lot in the past few weeks. Almost to the point where I'm questioning what my mind is trying to work out. But these lines are almost cathartic, like it's cleaning out my heart. (cheesy... I know...)

Next up on the list of digression, "No One's Gonna Love You" by Band of Horses
But someone,
They could have warned you
When things start splitting at the seams and now
The whole thing's tumbling down
Things start splitting at the seams and now
If things start splitting at the seams and now,
It's tumbling down
Hard.

Anything to make you smile
You are the ever-living ghost of what once was
I never want to hear you say
That you'd be better off
Or you liked it that way

But no one is ever gonna love you more than I do
No one's gonna love you more than I do
Who's excited about all these songs pertaining to my break-up?!? No one is more excited than me. This has been one of my favorite songs for a while. It also has a sad tone to it, but when I listen to it, it's almost peaceful. I like the word play and the idea that things are falling apart but that love is still there.

Alright, this next one is going to shock and even disgust you... "As Long As You Love Me" by Justin Bieber...

The grass ain't always greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.
Now if that's not poetry, I don't know what is!!! Haha, but in all seriousness, if you want to make something work and keep it going, you find a way to do that. This line is almost like modern day proverb. Pretty sure modern Ghandi would be like "Word. Shit just got real." Nurture the things you want to keep alive. It's that simple.

The last one I want to mention (last one for now, muahahahaha) is "Call It Off" by Tegan and Sara.
Call, break it off
Call, break my own heart
Maybe I would have been
Something you'd be good at
Maybe you would have been
Something I'd be good at
But now we'll never know
I won't be sad
But in case
I'll go there
Everyday,
To make myself feel bad
There's a chance
I'll start to wonder
If this was the thing to do
I can't help but wonder, like the song says, maybe we would've been something the other would be good at. And I wonder sometimes if it was the right decision, even though I know it was. We're both doing better and have made changes in our lives. It feels weird to not have him in my life. Sucks to lose a boyfriend and a best friend in one fell swoop

Well, this took a melancholy turn! I didn't think that's where it would go. I reread the blog and it's all down and sad. That's now how I am, just how I seem to be feeling at the moment. Of course, a nap and some friend time will help turn this frown upside down. :-)

0 comments: